Re: apt-get issues with download speed and server access

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 23:21:48 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Seems like I remember seeing a thread on this recently, but I don't
> see it in the last week's posts.)
>
> Last week, when the kernel update came down the pipe, most of the
> packages had decent speed, but the kernel and some others were cut
> down to about a fifth normal speed.
>
> Yesterday or Saturday, when I ran apt-get update, I got server access
> errors on wheezy, including backports and security. Ran apt-get clean
> and the access errors went away.
>
> Today, I get access errors again, and they go away after apt-get
> clean. And all packages are downloading at about a fifth my max speed
> from the provider.
>
> I'm feeling a little paranoid about this. Should I just assume my
> wan-side connection is getting saturated for some reason?

Hi Joel,

I don't know whether this relates to what you're saying, but a few days
ago debian.org was down, and xubuntu.org was *incredibly* slow, both on
my side and at http://www.isup.me, which told me both were flat out
down. I just went to sleep, and upon waking the next day, both were
doing well.

Also, a couple days ago, using the Debian Wheezy 64bit network install,
the debian.org default mirror didn't work, so I switched to the rit.edu
mirror and it worked perfectly.

I don't know if any conclusions can be drawn from my anecdotes, but if
you collect enough anecdotes perhaps it can help you figure out what's
going wrong.

SteveT