Re: Confict [debian installer] vs [installer documentation] ?

On Tue 17 Jun 2014 at 12:56:33 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I've been experimenting with "Using preseeding to change default
> values" [https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs05.html.en#preseed-seenflag]
> .
>
> I've discovered that it does not work unless "priority=critical" is
> changed to "priority=high" in boot parameters.

This mail appears to be a continuation of the issue raised in the thread
beginning at

   https://lists.debian.org/538490DC.6040605@cloud85.net

A solution was indicated there. From the above it appears you have
investigated the solution and found it works as advertised.

> I see several problems:
>   1. "B.5.2. Using preseeding to change default values" makes no
>   mention that this is required.

It would only be required if the question you want to display was being
asked at a priority lower than "critical". The interplay between
priority and preseeding is something you are possibly expected to
appreciate from other sections of the Guide.

>   2. "5.3.2. Debian Installer Parameters" states:
>           'The default installation uses priority=high. This means
>           that both high and critical priority messages are shown, but
>           medium and low priority messages are skipped. If problems
>           are encountered, the installer adjusts the priority as
>           needed.'
>      There are two problems there:
>
>        A. If automatic is chosen from install menu,
>        "priority=critical" is the default is actually for Squeeze and
>        Wheezy [Unable to verify for Jessie].

Don't be a slave to defaults! They can be changed. "priority=medium" on
the command line is one way. You'll end up with having to preseed a few
more values, of course.

>        B. the above statement would suggest use of "d-i foo/bar seen
>        false" should force priority to be lowered.

No problem has been encountered; no adjustment to the priority is
required. I think you are putting an unnecessary gloss on this.

>   3. Chapter 2 of "Debian Installer internals" also states: 'In some
>   situations the debconf priority is automatically changed. It is
>   reduced when the execution of a component fails, or when the user
>   uses the <Go Back> button to back out all the way to the menu. In
>   these cases it will also be increased back to the original level
>   when the next component executed finishes successfully.'
>
> Should this bug be reported against installer or the documentation?
> Having only dialup and thus unable to download Jessie, is it correct
> to report it as a possible bug in Jessie also?

What bug?