Re: weired packages policy

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Hans wrote:
> from time to time I discover packages, which are in stable and sid,
> but NOT in testing. This looks weired for me, as packages, which are
> in sid, should move to testing and then to sid.

As is documented in https://www.debian.org/devel/testing, this is
incorrect. Patches move from unstable to testing.

> This happens also with packages, which are already in stable, suddenly
> disappear in testing, but stay in sid. Then, after some time, these
> packages reappear again testing,

This is generally because the packages are specifically removed from
testing due to unfixed release critical (RC) bugs or because they are
blocking an ongoing transition.

Assuming the RC bugs are fixed with a new upload to unstable, they will
then be added to testing once the testing criteria are satisfied.

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
-- xkcd http://xkcd.com/917/