Re: systemd (was ... Re: Article on swift, responsive computers)

On Tue 17 Jun 2014 at 06:25:01 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 05:43:18PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, not running X on the console you started it from with
> > startx brings a raft of other problems.
>
> Well, I typed startx in tty4 and it started in tty3, so it isn't running
> in the console I started it from anyway, if I am understanding you.

If you had upower installed and were running Xfce you would find the
"Suspend" button greyed out. This is because X on tty4 doesn't inherit
the login conditions of tty3. It may not matter to you (it doesn't
matter to me) but that's how systemd works. From the man himself:

   https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-May/198927.html

Actually, you get the same thing on Wheezy with sysvinit but without
consolekit. The solution is possibly easier with systemd

   startx -- vt4