Re: SOLVED was: Re: Networking an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax

On 14/06/2014, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 07 June 2014 08:35:14 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> Two questions.  And yes, I am googling and RTFMing, but I am left with
>> two
>> immediate questions.  And as of now I have not got access to the device
>> and
>> network in question.  I am trying to do my "homework" in advance.
>>
>> The AIO in question is a CLX4195FN, but the two questions I have are
>> probably general to AIO.  We have the ULD and it is installed in both
>> computers that need access.  When the device is connected by USB to
>> either
>> computer, it works fine.  But now we want, if possible, to network it.
>>
>> 1)  I assume that if the printer is connected by ethernet to a router,
>> amd
>> that router is a wireless router, the printer can be controlled from a
>> laptop wirelessly connected to the router.  Is this correct?
>>
>> 2)  Can it scan over the network?  Again, I assume so, but would be
>> grateful for confirmation.
>
> I got there.  Unplugged the USB cable form the AIO.  Plugged a cat5e cable
> into both the router and the AIO.  Switched everything on.
>
> Go to first computer (the wired one.)  Opened CUPS. -> printers -> new
> network
> printer.  Click on default.  Click on default.  Test printing and scanning
> from 1st computer.  Rinse and repeat from second computer (the wi-fi one).
>
> Total time:  a few minutes.
>
> I love CUPS. :-)
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Lisi

Hello.

Two things.

1. The use of the acronyms can make it difficult to understand such
messages. After a while, I believe that figured out the "AIO" (= All
in One?), but I do not understand the "ULD". If people could avoid the
use of acronyms, it would make understanding messages, easier for us
simple foilk.

2. How did you manage to get the scanning, working?

I have previously mentioned, on this, or the Debian printing list,
that I have a Samsung CLX3185FW  (which I believe, is supposed to also
be able to operate as a network device, wireless or wired), but that I
have not been able to scan from it to a computer, since Debian 6 was
implemented.

I am assuming that you are using Debian 6 or later, for your CLX 4195FN.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."