Re: MPD on localhost won't work if there's no Wifi!?

On Thu 12 Jun 2014 at 16:23:37 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > Tom H wrote:
> > True. What do think about the lack of '127.0.1.1 localhost' in
> > etc/hosts? Squeeze and Wheezy installs would both put this line in.
>
> Process check!  I think you have mixed up the two cases.  Since a long
> time now Debian installs a /etc/hosts file that will look like this:
>
>   127.0.0.1       localhost

Agreed.

>   127.0.1.1       foo.example.com        foo

Agreed - sort of :).

A line in /etc/hosts has the form

   IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]

aliases are optional and the second field will always be the canonical
hostname.

What a Debian install puts for 127.0.1.1 depends on how the install took
place. If the user just uses 'install' d-i can get /etc/hostname and the
domain name from whatever dhcp server is being used.

   127.0.1.1       foo.example.com        foo

is what the user could get.

Suppose the server doesn't provide a domain name. Then she will have

   127.0.1.1       foo

because there is no need for an alias.

For an expert install the hostname and domain name can be specified, so
either

  127.0.1.1       foo.example.com        foo

or, if the domain name is left blank,

  127.0.1.1       foo

would be seen.

With preseeding the hostname can be be preseeded but not the domain
name. So I'd expect both the previous two variants to be possible.

I do not think we are in serious disagreement.