Re: PulseAudio (was Re: Sid Foibles)

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 18:15 +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > I use the PC speaker for
> > notifications/warnings/what ever and I use ALSA to play sound from e.g.
> > a YouTube video and for pro-audio I use jackd, jackd doesn't always
> > satisfy my needs, but IMO it still is the best sound server available
> > for Linux. JMMV ;)!
>
> Could jack be used in a scenario where the sound originates from a Xen
> VM (via music players, youtube, whatever) and is received by the Xen
> host? (To complement XDMCP.)

Software needs to be programmed to be a jack client. Software that
doesn't come with jack support usually can't be used with jack.
Unfortunately the FAQs are down:

"Site Down - thanks to the spam leeches

The jackaudio.org website is temporarily shutdown due to a deep hack by
the leeches who post pharmaceutical spam. It is not clear quite how they
got in, but the penetration is sufficiently bad that the entire
Drupal-based website is completely suspect and will have to be torn down
and recreated.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but nothing about the original site
could be considered safe. The only thing that is left are the downloads
for the most recent versions of JACK. We have confirmed that the
tarballs were not corrupted.

Current JACK1 release: version 0.124.1 MD5sum:
d64e90121be8a54860b870a726fb5b5d
Current JACK2 release ... coming once md5sum is established ...
For people who wish to track or be involved with JACK development, our
source code repositories continue to be available at GitHub which is
also where you can find the bug/issue trackers for both JACK1 and
JACK2." - http://jackaudio.org/

You don't need a real-time patched kernel or even a kernel with hard
preemption settings to use jack, the real-time capabilities of modern
vanilla kernels is good enough to use jack for many needs.

I don't think it's possible to use jack to rout sound from virtual
machines and even if it should be possible, I would use plain ALSA.

JFTR the Ubuntu Studio developers decided to provide a combination of
jack and pulseaudio. I'm absolutely against using 2 sound servers, but
they have good reasons to go this way. My reasons to be against it are
also good ;).

I like the analogy to Lego :), but I have to add that even some software
that is programmed to be a jack client, sometimes doesn't fit that good
to the Lego pins of the jack soundserver. An disgusting example for an
odd jack client is Audacity.