Re: PulseAudio (was Re: Sid Foibles)

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 16:52 +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> Le 09/06/2014 16:09, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> > For averaged desktop audio users pulseaudio does provide a more or IMO
> > rather less way to handle audio streams.
>
> What do you mean here ? I do notr use pulseaudio, what would it give me
> to have it ? I also have a laptop under fedora with pulseaudio, and I do
> not not see what pulseaudio brings comparing to a debian without it.

I never used pulseaudio. In the past it didn't work with my prosumer and
professional audio cards. It might work nowadays, but I wouldn't gain
anything when using it. AFAIK for averaged desktop audio users
pulseaudio is able to manage different audio streams, similar to a
mixer. Once Fon's, a coder, on Linux audio user mailing list or Linux
audio devel mailing list pointed out, that pulseaudio's mixing code is
insane. "Insane" is my wording, maybe not his wording. It seems to be
that PA e.g. reduce the level of the audio stream at one point of the
audio chain and at the same time it does increase the audio level on
another part of the same audio stream chain, this is a task that can't
work, it's dilettante, no experienced audio engineer would tolerate such
an idiotic way to handle an audio stream. The PA developers, especially
one guy, claimed that PA can't work perfectly, because the ALSA
developers miss to provide some information the PA code needs ... but
IMO I shouldn't continue. It's said that PA is a blessing for averaged
desktop audio usage. That's how it should be. I use the PC speaker for
notifications/warnings/what ever and I use ALSA to play sound from e.g.
a YouTube video and for pro-audio I use jackd, jackd doesn't always
satisfy my needs, but IMO it still is the best sound server available
for Linux. JMMV ;)!