Re: PulseAudio (was Re: Sid Foibles)

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 15:51 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> PulseAudio is one of the multiple layer which are made to "simplify"
> the use of sound systems.

It's called a "sound server".

> Which means ( roughly, I'm not a translator ):
> "So, the softwares which are using ALSA will send their output to
> PulseAudio, which will then use ALSA to access the real sound card."

Yes, but this is not ridiculous, a layer to handle audio streams is
useful. Sure, pulseaudio does handle the audio streams in a ridiculous
way, but we don't need to discuss this again. For averaged desktop usage
I use ALSA without a sound server, for pro-audio I use jackd. For
averaged desktop audio users pulseaudio does provide a more or IMO
rather less way to handle audio streams.