Re: detecting printer connected to the network

On Sun 08 Jun 2014 at 17:15:14 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> I thought others might benefit from my experience and provided step by step
> instructions at
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/2014/06/setting-up-canon-pixma-mx870-printer-on.html

A very nice write-up. I hope you do not mind a few comments.

1. It might be possible to find the printer's IP address from its front
   panel.

2. cups depends on cups-client. 'apt-get install cups' is sufficient.

   Jessie will be released with systemd as the init system; cups would
   not be managed from /etc/init.d.

3. A Jessie install puts the first user in the lpadmin group. Further
   users do have to be added.

   It appears your printer also works with ipp.

     http://localhost:631/help/network.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=#IPP

   The lpr command is in a package which is only suggested by cups; the
   lp command comes with cups.

The 'Useful links:' section isn't clickable. Did you mean it to be?