Re: detecting printer connected to the network

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun 08 Jun 2014 at 17:15:14 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> I thought others might benefit from my experience and provided step by step
> instructions at
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/2014/06/setting-up-canon-pixma-mx870-printer-on.html

A very nice write-up. I hope you do not mind a few comments.

Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback no matter how small people think they are.

My intention in writing the above article is to provide one working data point for users struggling with setting up the printer. I did not, by any means, tried to be comprehensive.

1. It might be possible to find the printer's IP address from its front
   panel.

True. There is always more than one way to do it.

2. cups depends on cups-client. 'apt-get install cups' is sufficient.

I have removed cups-client.

   Jessie will be released with systemd as the init system; cups would
   not be managed from /etc/init.d.

I see. That is a good point. But init.d is what I have tried and worked for me. I shall try to read about systemd and see how it should be done. But given my busy schedule, I doubt if it will be in the near future.

3. A Jessie install puts the first user in the lpadmin group. Further
   users do have to be added.

I think this is a moot point. If the user is already added to lpadmin, there is nothing to be done to begin with.

   It appears your printer also works with ipp.

     http://localhost:631/help/network.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=#IPP

   The lpr command is in a package which is only suggested by cups; the
   lp command comes with cups.

cool. Again I did not know about either of this. Thanks for bringing it up. I will try these and update the post.

The 'Useful links:' section isn't clickable. Did you mean it to be?

Yes. I do this to minimize "distractions".

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/