Re: detecting printer connected to the network

I have a Canon Pixma MX870 that is connected wirelessly to the router which is connected to the internet. My desktop computer, running Debian testing (Jessie), is connected to the router via ethernet cable.

I tried to follow https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting to set up the printer on the desktop. I went to http://localhost:631/ -> Adding Printers and Classes . When I click on "Find New Printers" button under the Printers section, it gives me an error

"No printers found."

[...]

Any suggestions on detecting/setting up the printer are greatly appreciated.

Did you do any internet search before asking here? I searched "Canon Pixma MX870 linux" and found these links:

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100272302.html
https://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php/product/4447

Reading those it looks like a specific printer driver must be installed before CUPS setup. Not every printer needs that, so perhaps that is why it is not mentioned in the wiki page you read.