Re: Package system totaly a complete mess

On Sunday 08 June 2014 00.10:02 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 07 June 2014 21:41:17 Slavko wrote:
> > apt-get is quicker than aptitude and has (by the release note)
>
> The release notes have not been consistent about which they recommend for a
> particular upgrade.  Both have been recommended on occasion.
>
> I prefer aptitude because I know what I am doing with it (sort of) and
> because I don't have such a plethora of commands: apt-get, apt-cache,
> apt-file etc. to remember.  But I use apt-x on occasion since it is no
> longer recommended that you should stick rigidly with only one of them.  I
> strongly dislike Synaptic for almost every job.  Each to his own. :-)
> That's one of the things I love about Debian and Linux.
>
> Lisi

WIth apt-get you must know what to type, this is not easy if you don't use it
frequently.

Having looked nearer at aptitude, I will sure "play" with it on some
seconcondary machine before typing "g" "g" on my main machine because if it
removes over 700 packages and I overlooked something, I'd better have a
backup (which I do have, actually :).

Synaptic is easy to use and it does usually a good job at adding/removing
stuff provided with the distribution, but it easily creates broken or
problematic situation.

My problem, as far as I can track it down, comes from a mix of (personnal)
problems:

- this was a clean wheezy install
- I upgraded my machine to a haswell board, so I had to istall a backport
kernel
- I also wanted to try different database solutions that required newer libc6
versions, that I had to get from testing

I guess no Debian package manager likes this mix of origins. I took a look at
pinning, but there is no simple solution there either.

Upgrading to a full Jessie might be a solution, but I use (and love, and am
not about to change) Trinity Desktop as my DE, and there is no jessie support
yet (I could not get the nightly builds to install compeletly).

So the problem ultimately comes from a typical Debian problem, which is also
one of Debian's plus points (I'm not ranting, it's a fact): Wheezy is a
little more than one year old, but developpers didn't stop in 2013. Stable
kernel is at 3.12 (longterm), new hardware is being build in our computers.
Wether software requires the lastest libraries or the developper just used
them I don't know (sometimes just linking the new libname to an an older lib
works...).

So what I discovered is: don't believe those that say "just add this
repository and pull that stuff from testing/unstable". While  it *may* work,
it ends up putting your system in a dead end.

This being said, "pure" wheezy simply can't work on my machine (no graphics,
no network, not even a hard disc...) so the only other choice is another
distribution until Jessie becomes stable.

I can't stand Ubuntu(s), but openSuSE ssems OK (even if i had a hell of a time
getting gscan2pdf to work). Zypper and Yast have their problems too,
anyway...

Life would be boring if there where not the computers :))

Thierry