Re: Package system totaly a complete mess

Ahoj,

Dňa Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:57:39 +0200 Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de>
napísal:

> Thierry de Coulon:
> >
> > I've lived for years using synaptic and I am no so used to aptitude
> > - and I don't want to make mistakes...
>
> In addition to the good advice regarding automatically installed
> packages that has already been given I have one question: why do you
> want to use aptitude? I used aptitude for a few years but switched
> back to apt-get after the Release Notes of a release recommended to
> use apt-get for distribution upgrades, not aptitude. I have a lot less
> trouble now.

I know that you don't ask me, but i provide my point of view:

* apt-get is quicker than aptitude and has (by the release note) better
  dependency solver for dist-upgrade (but how often i do dist-upgrade?)
* aptitude provides the nice UI, which allow me to inspect some details
  (descriptions, changelogs, etc) and then i can better choose whoch
  from recommends/suggests dependencies i need to install/uninstall
  (some from them i want and some no)

Then, aptitude is my choice mostly due UI. Although i can do all basic
operations with both tools, to achieve the same things with apt-get i
need run it more times. Inspect cca 50 daily upgrades on testing by
apt-get sounds for me as horrible job.

But you are right, to simple install some individual package, the
apt-get is much quicker.

And finally, i switch to aptitude in time, when the release notes
suggests aptitude (i forgot exact codename) and i will stay on it until
it will works for me.

regards

--
Slavko