Re: System_d biting CUPS

On Sat 07 Jun 2014 at 19:24:54 +0200, Siard wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 14:35:51 +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > To make progress I think we might need the outputs of
> >
> >    systemctrl status cups
> >
> > before and after running 'lpstat -a' when the init is systemd.
>
> $ systemctrl status cups
> bash: systemctrl: command not found

Amazing how an extrrra r or two can creep in.

> $ systemctl status cups
> cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>      Docs: man:cupsd(8)
>            man:cupsd.conf(5)

Looks like cups doesn't start up. 'systemctl status cups.socket' might
have been a better command to try. There is also 'systemctl start
cups.socket'

> $ lpstat -a
> lpstat: Bad file descriptor
> $ systemctl status cups
> <exactly the same as above>
>
> > Also, please attach your cupsd.conf and cupsd-systemd-listen.conf to
> > any further post you make.
>
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf:  http://pastebin.com/L8VvsSQ8

This looks like the default file (apart from 'SystemGroup lpadmin',
which should be in another file and which doesn't matter). The list is
very tolerant of a file less than 5 kB in size. Also, in time it doesn't
disappear and is easier to work with.

> /etc/cups/cupsd-systemd-listen.conf:
> <comments left out>
> ListenStream=127.0.0.1:631
> ListenStream=[::1]:631

The commented line (which you omitted) before these two has some
importance. It's never a good thing to edit when seeking help.

There are a number of ways to get 'lpstat: Bad file descriptor'. Most do
not apply to you. My only guess is that you have disabled ipv6.

   cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6