Re: Monitor Resolution Problems (SOLVED)

On 02/17/2014 07:34 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 02/16/2014 01:35 PM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 16.02.2014 20:09, Marc Shapiro a écrit :
I purchased a new monitor and I am having problems with the
resolution.  It is a Samsung SyncMaster S24B150 with an optimal
resolution of 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz.  The highest resolution that I am
offered under System/Preferences/Monitor Settings (in Mate) is
1360x768.  That is also the only setting that matches a 16x9 aspect
ratio.  I am using the supplied VGA cable.  Do I need to use a DVI
cable to get the full resolution?  Or is there something else that I
can do?  Just today I noticed that the image is not using the full
width of the monitor.  The height seems to be correct.  I don't think
that it was doing this before, but I don't see any way to adjust it,
either through software, or the monitor's menus.  The monitor's menus
give me the option of 'Auto' or 'Wide'.  Using 'Auto' gives me a 4x3
aspect ratio and 'Wide' uses most of the screen, but not all. Again,
will getting a DVI cable solve this? Are there drivers that I need to
find and install?  Any other clues as to what to look for? All help
appreciated.

Marc

I strongly doubt that it'll help, but maybe your graphical tool lacks features. Try to run "$xrandr" on command line, and it will give you what xorg knows. If you do not find the video mode you want... well, then no other solution than to write a xorg.conf as said by someone else.

xrandr does not show anything higher than 1360x768. I hope to get a DVI cable today and we will see if that works. If not then I will create an xorg.conf file as David suggested. It has been quite a while since I have had to deal with xorg.conf, but this should be a much simpler file than I needed to mess with 15 years ago.

Marc
I did, finally, get a DVI cable and that was the solution. I now get the full resolution possible from the monitor. As an added bonus... since my eyes are not what they used to be I was afraid that the smaller print size would be a problrm and I would need to set the font size larger to be able to read text well. Since the screen is now at its proper resolution, however, the text is sharper, so I do not have that issue, either.

Marc