Re: Sawfish and Openbox: was fastest linux distro

On Mon 02 Jun 2014 at 12:38:20 +0200, David Dušanić wrote:

> 01.06.2014, 19:21, "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>:
> > On Sun 01 Jun 2014 at 13:09:11 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> >>  I added those to my ~/.Xdefaults, and whether I set Xft.dpi to 96, 48,
> >>  or 192, it always looked the same, so I doubt that these things are
> >>  being read or acted upon.
> >
> > Because Debian's X doesn't consult or read ~/.Xdefaults.
>
> I use them with my WMs and it works unless I am missing something.
> Additionally I put my colors there for my terminals and whatnot. In
> any case I would then recommend to use .Xresources if this is the
> preferred method even though it makes no difference on the effect it
> has.

With startx and any of the DMs the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are
sourced through /etc/X11/Xsession. Xsession doesn't even look for a
~/.Xdefaults file. I'd suggest most installed Debian desktop systems
operate with this default, which I'd see as the way Debian is designed
to work rather than the "preferred method".

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to have ~/.Xdefaults consulted but
some extra effort would be needed. Presumably you have done this. What I
am saying is that anyone who puts a file named .Xdefaults in their home
directory and simply expects its contents to be acted on is due for a
disappointment.