Re: Anyone using exim with fastmail.fm's smtp server as smart host?

On Sat 24 May 2014 at 00:54:07 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> Darac Marjal wrote:
> >> For exim,
> >> http://www.manu-j.com/blog/wordpress-exim4-ubuntu-gmail-smtp/75/
> >> suggests to set the smarthost to "mail.messagingengine.com::587" (when
> >> using debconf) and to add a new routing driver. Probably easiest to just
> >> read that page for the information you require, replacing smtp.gmail.com
> >> with mail.messagingengine.com as appropriate.
>
> > No new routing driver requires adding with either gmail or fastmail.
> > gmail also accepts authenticated mail on port 25 whereas fastmail
> > refuses connections on that port.
>
> Sorry Brian, but even with really good hints I've managed to be
> confused about something here.  Are you saying above that none of the
> editing recommended in above cited URL:
> http://www.manu-j.com/blog/wordpress-exim4-ubuntu-gmail-smtp/75/
>
> is really needed?  Just follow the edits you mention?

The single thing you you need to learn from that page is that you want to
use "mail.messagingengine.com::587" for the smarthost. Do NOT use port
465 and IGNORE everything else, including mentions of "routing drivers,
otherwise you will end up in a mess.

The edits I advise are all that is needed.