Re: want to revert back to gnome classic mode.

On Fri, 23 May 2014 10:08:56 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 2014 12:46:14 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mi, 21 mai 14, 08:58:00, Joe wrote:
> > > The other medium-weight DE is LXDE.
> >
> > If there is an even lighter weight DE than LXDE I'd be very
> > interested.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Well, I mean, if lightness is your sole priority, drop all the way
> back to fvwm2. It would probably run on a 16MB 286. I think you'd
> need to run X without a window manager to get lighter than fvwm2.
>
> As far as practical interfaces for serious desktop work, I wonder if
> OpenBox is lighter weight than LXDE? If so, *highly* recommend
> OpenBox: It's wonderful. Here's some documentation I wrote about it:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/openbox/index.htm
>
> SteveT

Openbox works very well. It's not a complete desktop environment of
course, just one component, so you will need to pick and choose the
applications to make it a workable environment. Which is actually a
good thing because the application that are part of a desktop
environment are usually somewhat poor.

You can run tint2 to provide replace the taskbar/system tray/desktop
pager functionality.

feh to set the root window to a nice background image.

xfe is a fast and easy to use file manager (not based on Gtk or Qt, and
not even on Fltk but on the somewhat unknown Fox toolkit)

wmctrl is a very useful tool to use in rc.xml for fast fast switching
between applications:

For example:
    <keybind key="W-e">
      <action name="Execute">
         <command>wmctrl -x -a "emacs.Emacs"</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Switches to the desktop where emacs is running, and focuses the window
in one keypress.