Re: want to revert back to gnome classic mode.

thanks alot guyz, i am actually a server side guy using mostly terminal window. i am new to gnome and xfce.
so my question is, are all the applications from gnome will be available in xfce, is it like a layer on the top of gnome 3. are all gnome utilities will be available as well? like system monitor  etc.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
On 5/21/14, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have just installed debian 7 and i am feeling a bit uncomfortable with
> the new look ("unity" type) i want the all time old menu "gnome classic".
> how can i enable that.

Basically, your options are:
1) Install XFCE desktop
apt-cache show xfce4
http://www.xfce.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce

2) Install Cinnamon desktop
apt-cache show cinnamon # sid only/ incomplete?
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)

3) Install Mate desktop
apt-cache show mate-desktop # sid only?
http://mate-desktop.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_(desktop_environment)

4) Gnome plugins to make it look more like gnome classic
??
http://thearchway.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/turning-gnome-3-into-a-usable-thing/
https://extensions.gnome.org/

Good luck,