Re: want to revert back to gnome classic mode.

On Wed, 21 May 2014 11:57:29 +0500
Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks alot guyz, i am actually a server side guy using mostly
> terminal window. i am new to gnome and xfce.
> so my question is, are all the applications from gnome will be
> available in xfce, is it like a layer on the top of gnome 3. are all
> gnome utilities will be available as well? like system monitor  etc.

The Linux desktop environment isn't monolithic like Windows, it's just a
collection of bits. Gnome and KDE applications will work, but will
often bring large DE-specific libraries with them. With modern disc
sizes, this shouldn't be a problem. I occasionally use Konqueror, and I
like gedit, while using an Xfce desktop. I like Network Manager, now
that it pretty much works, on my mobile sid/Xfce machines but not on my
workstation. The other medium-weight DE is LXDE. Most applets are
available for one or some DE panels, not all, but it is usually
possible to run a panel from one DE in another.

In Linux, a window manager will operate without a desktop environment,
but this is a little too minimalist for me. My server has no X at all,
and I'm quite happy with mc, aptitude and a few other bits and pieces,
but on a working desktop machine I want a bit more comfort.

--
Joe