Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On Sun, 18 May 2014 22:31:18 -0400
Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

> >> OK, since you insist, I'll call it what it is - piracy.
> >
> > I didn't think you were _such_ a contrarian. Proved me wrong.
> >

> I'm not.  What you describe is piracy.
>
> > You're also firmly aligned with copyright industry rhetoric. Oh
> > well, I seriously thought you were above that...
> >

> Unlike you, I am not above the law.  And I have created intellectual
> property in the past which is copyrighted (unlike you, obviously).
> And I protect my copyrights.

Don't bother arguing with these idiots Jerry. I'll bet you dollars to
donuts they never took the time to write, edit, format, produce, and
market a 100K word book to help them feed their children. They probably
have salary jobs, and if they get laid off, they get unemployment.

Here's the thing Jerry: With all their yelling, I never once heard any
of these 150 decibel anti-DRM clowns promise not to give or sell a copy
of an author's work to someone else. I'm not talking about right of
first sale, which I assume they know nothing about, I'm talking about
buying (or grabbing from a torrent) a copy of somebody's work, keeping
it, but making copies of it and giving the copies to others. After all,
according to them, once they bought it, they can do anything they want
with it, right?

It's not their problem that Article 1, section 8, paragraph 8 of the
US Constitution provides authors and inventors a limited time exclusive
right to the author's or inventor's writings and discoveries. It's
not their problem that copyright was a part of English law long before
the US constitution was written. It's not their problem that copyright
is part of the Berne convention, accepted and enforced by most modern
nations.

It's not these clowns' problem if someone spent between 3 and 18 months
writing a book, in hope of feeding their children. It's not their
problem if the author must compete with cheap or zero cost exact copies
of the work he spent so long making, because the clowns are
distributing copies like the autumn leaves. It's not their problem
if the author's children don't eat. The clowns got theirs.

It's kind of ironic, isn't it? If they don't like DRM (and who does?),
they should blame those who unauthorizedly distribute (or possess
unauthorized distributions). DRM was made to prevent these activities,
due to high number of freeloaders wanting authors to write for free. If
they don't like DMCA (and who does?), blame the unauthorized
distributors. If they don't like the obscene life+70 copyright periods
of many nations including the US, blame the unauthorized distributors,
who ceded the moral high ground to Disney and Sonny Bono and that crowd
by snatching money right out of authors' pocketbooks.

Jerry, if the clowns who have been arguing with you had a single
testicle between them, they'd do with Stallman does: Simply promise
never to buy, procure, nor distribute, nonfree content. Stallman
*never* makes unauthorized copies of nonfree content. But that's not
their style: they whine about buying a book and then not being able to
give copies to others: or at least they never forswore making copies and
distributing to others.

The sad thing is, Jerry, although I hate the fact that the US law
provides for a judgment of $150K *per unauthorizedly obtained work*
against those who unauthorizedly copy, or receive such copies, the
arrogant disregard of stealing other peoples' opportunity to make money,
and their pride in not knowing the law, make me hope it happens to them.

They're clowns Jerry: ignore them.

SteveT
Steve Litt