Re: problems with ntp syncronization in wheezy

Leonardo Cuyar Morales <leonardo@softel.cu> wrote:
> I just installed debian wheezy amd64. After having set ntp
> configurations in /etc/default/ntpdate file, like:
> - set the ntp server
> - do not read /etc/ntp.conf file

> the same configuration I did in squeeze, my result was wheezy does
> not get sincronized either.

> Have you had any experience with ntp in wheezy?

I've been using ntp since the '90s, and on Debian since sarge. FWIW I
also run an ntp pool server. I rarely use ntpdate other than as a very
quick comparison of clocks ("ntpdate -qu remote.ntp.server"), but usually
use ntpd. I prefer to tweak ntp.conf so that I have my own sources listed
either as servers or peers (depending on the situation, obviously).

Taking a quick look at ntpdate-debian it looks like it's one-off
synchronisation subject to all the failure modes of ntpdate itself. Is
there any particular reason why you want to use ntpdate(-debian) instead
of ntpd?

Chris