Max number of loop devices OR "efficient search of Debian documentation"

My general question is "How to search for a particular particle of information that you've seen SOMEWHERE in the reams of information available as formal documentation, web pages, mailing lists, etc."

My current instance is attempting to modify the max number of loop devices. One pellet of Google buckshot reminded me that it can be reset for the next re-boot under /etc/modprobe.d . But I want to reset it on the fly.
Other pellets hit postings:
   that were over ten years old
   where post did not seem to agree with relevant man page
post's author commented that he though solution might be of form ...

Suggestions?
TIA