Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:29:57 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

> On 20/05/14 09:07 AM, Celejar wrote:

> > Of course. But while it's certainly not a zero-sum game, there's
> > generally going to be a trade-off: increasing protections for
> > defendants will save some innocents, at the expense of letting some
> > guilty go free. The same goes for IP regulation: many of us at least
> > believe that the law should balance the rights of the IP holders with
> > the rights of the consumer, and insisting on absolute freedom for the
> > consumer at the expense of the rights of the rights-holders is wrong.
> >
> > Celejar
>
> DRM removes all rights from the consumer and places them entirely with
> the IP holder. That's not balance in any traditional sense of the word.

Come now, that's a gross exaggeration. DRM certainly doesn't remove
*all* rights from the consumer, even if we concede that it removes some
rights, and may prevent him from some usage that he is entitled to by
law.

Celejar