Re: Anyone using exim with fastmail.fm's smtp server as smart host?

On 19/05/14 23:22, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm trying to setup exim4 in a situation that has got to be pretty
> common. (Other than perhaps the choice of smtp server)
>
> In general it is:
>
> single user home machine running debian
>
> send mail to remote addresses by `smart host'
>
> Retrieve mail by fetchmail, or in some accounts just
> use Imap and don't fetch the messages.
>
> But in all cases I must use a smarthost.  In this case it is the smtp
> server `mail.messagingengine.com'.   I have successfully setup
> sendmail on a debian machine in the past with this same smart host.
> It necessitated using an `authinfo' file with a certain syntax.
>
> So my SmartHost is an authenticating Smart host... it also seemed
> to require me to masquerade as another mail provider.
>
> I used `newsguy.com' since I have accounts with them.  Mail was made
> to appear as if it had originated at newsguy.com
>
> Some of those same things, no doubt, will be required, and I've tried
> several different configs.
>
> What I hoped is that someone here would be in a similar situation and
> might be able to offer some input to get this going.
>
> Call me lazy, but I really really do NOT want to pound thru piles and
> piles of exim documentation... .  I'm willing to do some reading
> but not interested in becoming an exim adept... I doubt I would make
> the cut... with 10-15 yrs training.

The server (mail.messagingengine.com) doesn't respond to ping nor to an
attempt at connecting through port 25 right now (20/5/2014, 13:30 GMT)

$ swaks -s mail.messagingengine.com -q FIRST-HELO
=== Trying mail.messagingengine.com:25...
^C (manually aborted after a minute or so)

$ ping mail.messagingengine.com
PING mail.messagingengine.com (66.111.4.51) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- mail.messagingengine.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4030ms

--
Klaus