Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

Those who (...whatever...) create content get to decide HOW THEY
DISTRIBUTE or otherwise SELL that content.

No more. No less.

Wrong.

Once it's on my computer, on in my brain, it's mine. I can do with it
as I choose, and within the limits of my capacity.

Wrong.

The copyright holders continue to control your ability to make copies.  That, after all, is what "copyright" means.

If the copyright holders say no copies period, then you do not get to make _any_ copies.  None for backup and none for your kids.

If the copyright holders say one backup copy then that's all you can make.

If the copyright holders say no other media then you can make copies to your heart's content, but only on the medium allowed.  That means a floppy disk's contents cannot be copied to a CD, DVD, or to a web site.  Period.  Nor to any other medium.  Only to other floppies.

You do not buy the rights to a copyrighted work when you buy an instance of it.  You could buy the copyright holder's interest, but that tends to be a complex transfer.  Such rights generally do not appear on Amazon, Ebay, or Programmer's Connection's catalog.

And once it is in your brain, anything you create yourself is called a  "derived work" and it may not be distributed without permission from the original work's copyright holder.  That is what "clean room" development is all about -- avoidance of derivation.

Before you rant further it might be useful to actually understand the issues involved.  So far you have only demonstrated serious misunderstandings.

Note that the _statutory_ penalty for a purposeful violation of copyright law is USD$150,000.00 plus fees and legal costs.  Per violation.

Are you really going to admit in this public forum that you regularly violate copyright law on purpose?

Lee Winter
Nashua, New Hampshire (Live Free or Die)
United States of America