Re: latest sendmail on testing

Filip <filip@fbvnet.be> writes:

> On Sat, 17 May 2014 12:07:56 -0400
> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Recent install of jessie as vbox guest vm on win 7 64bit
>>
>> Preferring sendmail to exim I installed the testing package for
>> sendmail and of course that uninstalled a few things, including exim.
>>
>> So, my first run at sendmail , just starting the service
>>
>>    # service sendmail start
>>
>>    [....] Starting Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmailcan not
>>    chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): No such file or directory
>>
>>    Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory =
>>    /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory
>>
>> I would have thought the install of a pkg would also create any needed
>> directories for the pkg to operate.
>>
>> Is it normal for user to create these things?
>>

> No, it's not normal. The post-install scripts should create a
> working initial configuration where it at least starts up.
>
> Try reinstalling with the --reinstall option.
>
> apt-get install sendmail --reinstall
> apt-get install sendmail-base --reinstall
> apt-get install sendmail-bin --reinstall
>
> Does that give any errors ?

Sounds like a plan... thanks.

One problem... I've diddled around with the files inside of /etc/mail a
fair bit and even though I think I keep original copies of anything I
changed.  It would be easier if I just rm -rf /etc/mail.

So wondering if on a brand new install from the lxde iso, if there would
already be a an /etc/mail.... If so I'll have to pick thru and try my
best to get it back to original condition.

I'd hate for some awkward ill-advised thing I've done to make the
even a reinstall a non-starter.