Re: latest sendmail on testing

On Sat, 17 May 2014 12:07:56 -0400
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Recent install of jessie as vbox guest vm on win 7 64bit
>
> Preferring sendmail to exim I installed the testing package for
> sendmail and of course that uninstalled a few things, including exim.
>
> So, my first run at sendmail , just starting the service
>
>    # service sendmail start
>
>    [....] Starting Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmailcan not
>    chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): No such file or directory
>
>    Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory =
>    /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory
>
> I would have thought the install of a pkg would also create any needed
> directories for the pkg to operate.
>
> Is it normal for user to create these things?

No, it's not normal. The post-install scripts should create a
working initial configuration where it at least starts up.

Try reinstalling with the --reinstall option.

apt-get install sendmail --reinstall
apt-get install sendmail-base --reinstall
apt-get install sendmail-bin --reinstall

Does that give any errors ?