latest sendmail on testing

Recent install of jessie as vbox guest vm on win 7 64bit

Preferring sendmail to exim I installed the testing package for sendmail
and of course that uninstalled a few things, including exim.

So, my first run at sendmail , just starting the service

   # service sendmail start

   [....] Starting Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmailcan not
   chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): No such file or directory

   Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory =
   /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory

I would have thought the install of a pkg would also create any needed
directories for the pkg to operate.

Is it normal for user to create these things?