Re: latest sendmail on testing

Filip <filip@fbvnet.be> writes:

[...]

>> I would have thought the install of a pkg would also create any needed
>> directories for the pkg to operate.
>>
>> Is it normal for user to create these things?

> No, it's not normal. The post-install scripts should create a
> working initial configuration where it at least starts up.
>
> Try reinstalling with the --reinstall option.
>
> apt-get install sendmail --reinstall
> apt-get install sendmail-base --reinstall
> apt-get install sendmail-bin --reinstall
>
> Does that give any errors ?

It gives the same errors I saw when I first installed sendmail.

I didn't even mention them in my OP since it was easy enough to fix
(more below on that)

These are not the errors I posted about.

Its not the actual installation but the part when `make' is run in
/etc/mail I think.

But have included the full output at the end since I don't know enough
to know what might help:

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

When I saw these comments below the first time, I just moved the lines
indicated in sendmail.mc and reran `make'.

But those other errors, the ones I posted about concerning missing
directories in /etc/lib/sendamil and /var/spool/ do not come up until
you actually start trying to use sendmail.

Attempting to make things easy for someone to help... I'm putting here
what I think are the only actual errors and fuller output below:

[...]
Creating /etc/mail/sendmail.cf...
*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** MAILER(`local') must appear after FEATURE(`always_add_domain')*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** MAILER(`local') must appear after FEATURE(`allmasquerade')*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
[...]

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
Full ouput:

Preparing to unpack .../sendmail-bin_8.14.4-5_i386.deb ...
Unpacking sendmail-bin (8.14.4-5) over (8.14.4-5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1) ...
Setting up sendmail-bin (8.14.4-5) ...
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/sm.bin/sendmail because link group sendmail-mta is broken
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/sm.bin/sendmail because link group sendmail-msp is broken
Saving old /etc/mail/sendmail.cf as /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.old ...
[ ok ] Stopping Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmail.
Updating sendmail environment ...
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Writing configuration to /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Writing /etc/cron.d/sendmail.
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Writing configuration to /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Writing /etc/cron.d/sendmail.
Could not open /etc/mail/databases(No such file or directory), creating it.
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Creating /etc/mail/databases...

Checking filesystem, this may take some time - it will not hang!
  ...   Done.

Checking for installed MDAs...
sasl2-bin not installed, not configuring sendmail support.

To enable sendmail SASL2 support at a later date, invoke "/usr/share/sendmail/update_auth"

Creating/Updating SSL(for TLS) information
Creating /etc/mail/tls/starttls.m4...
You already have sendmail certificates

*** *** *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING *** *** ***

Everything you need to support STARTTLS (encrypted mail transmission
and user authentication via certificates) is installed and configured
but is *NOT* being used.

To enable sendmail to use STARTTLS, you need to:
1) Add this line to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and optionally
   to /etc/mail/submit.mc:
  include(`/etc/mail/tls/starttls.m4')dnl
2) Run sendmailconfig
3) Restart sendmail

Checking {sendmail,submit}.mc and related databases...
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Creating /etc/mail/databases...
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Creating /etc/mail/databases...
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Creating /etc/mail/Makefile...
Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Validating configuration.
Writing configuration to /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
Writing /etc/cron.d/sendmail.
Disabling HOST statistics file(/var/lib/sendmail/host_status).
Creating /etc/mail/sendmail.cf...
*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** MAILER(`local') must appear after FEATURE(`always_add_domain')*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** MAILER(`local') must appear after FEATURE(`allmasquerade')*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()

Creating /etc/mail/submit.cf...
Informational: confCR_FILE file empty: /etc/mail/relay-domains
Informational: confCT_FILE file empty: /etc/mail/trusted-users
Updating /etc/mail/access...
Updating /etc/mail/aliases...
/etc/mail/aliases: 13 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 144 bytes total

Warning: These messages were issued while creating sendmail.cf
        make sure they are benign before starting sendmail!

Errors in generating sendmail.cf