Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 16/05/14 05:59, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 15/05/14 02:31 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> Nonsense. There is the concept of fair use. No right is nor
>>> should be unlimited. DRM throws centuries of jurisprudence out
>>> the window.
>>>
>>> DRM exists not because of copyright violation but because people
>>> can get away with it.

>>> DVD's CSS for example never prevented anyone from making a copy
>>> of a DVD.

Wrong.
How do you rip Disney encryption? Which of the 96 tracks do you go for?

>>> It just prevented legitimate owners of DVDs from taking their
>>> DVDs with them when they switched continents.

Wrong.
Region code (8-bits) is not part of Content Scrambling System.

>> You need to look up the meaning of "fair use".  It does not, for
>> instance, allow you to post a copy of an article on my web page -
>> or even link to an image on my web page - without my permission.
>>
>> And this has been supported by "centuries of jurisprudence".  DRM
>> does nothing to change that.  If the owner of the copyright
>> doesn't want the item used, he/she can implement DRM to protect it.
>> If he/she doesn't care, he/she does not need to implement DRM.
>>
>> And the claim that "if all browsers support DRM, everyone will use
>> it" is completely bogus.  For instance, all browsers (at least all
>> of the major ones) support Java applets and Flash.  But not
>> everyone uses them.  In fact, very few do - even though, according
>> to your thinking, "they have no reason not to".
>>
>> Jerry
>>

> This is why so many discussions degenerate into flame wars - people
> presenting ideas on topics they seem to have little knowledge.

How very insightful.

> I can, for example, quote anything presented publicly and post it
> online with critical comment

You exaggerate.
Not anything. There are limitations on "fair use" - and they vary from
country to country.

> - except if it is part of DRM-protected content. That's an example
> of fair use and how DRM restricts it.

Rubbish. I read reviews of blueray movies all the time. I read reviews
of articles that are behind paywalls.

> As for Flash, I note that for a long time it was the defacto standard
> for posting video despite being proprietary.

Yes. Java has been used for that as well - but the market has:-
woken up to the reality that third party software loses market
Adobe wants to keep a share of that market.

<snipped>

> If I'm a typical content provider, I'll put in DRM if I can be sure
> it won't interfere with my site's views. If only one browser
> supports DRM, I'll think twice before doing it.

> If you don't understand this reasoning, we have nothing more to talk
> about.

I understand the reasoning - I just don't agree with it, especially your
methods.
You don't want people to be able to use DRM, I want them to not use it
of their own free will. You think you're liberating people - I think
you're something else.

I'll hold you to the "nothing more to talk about" - but I won't hold my
breath - you've written nothing worth reading so far, the ban knives
speech is old.