Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 16/05/14 03:46, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 15/05/14 01:33 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> Not quite. The presence of DRM doesn' mean the content requires
>>> payment.

>> Did I say that it did? (no). Is it relevant (no). BTWB?

>>> It just means that you can't use the content freely
>> So?  I
>>
>>> - not even for uses that copyright allows.
>> Oh really? Perhaps, when you can demonstrate a case you could sue
>> someone - might be more productive and less destructive than your
>> current campaign/recruiting drive.
>>
>>> If major browsers don't support DRM then sites will have reasons
>>> to not use it. If all major browsers support it, then sites will
>>> have no reason to not use it.
>>
>> Are you on drugs?  Seriously? Why don't you start with Microsoft?
>> Or maybe Adobe? Why don't you lobby Mozilla? So your plan is first
>> get Debian Users organised to somehow do what? Help you email the
>> Iceweasel team. Your tactics are even more nonsensible than your
>> reasoning (which has so far been wrong on every point) make even
>> less sense than your complaints. Perhaps you have another agenda?
>>

>> Regards
> You can't sue someone for not allowing something that copyright law
> allows. DVD and Bluray has shown that.

Huh? Is that a legal opinion?
I don't know that you can sue someone for not allowing something the
copyright law allows....(not counting "discrimination"). Nor can I
confidently say you can't sue (and win).

Please explain how DVD and/or Blueray "has shown that you can't sue
someone for not allowing something that copyright law allows". It sounds
like total bull.

> Your second issue is that you don't seem to understand the
> difference between all and some.

Wrong again. And you can't count - or you forgot to number my first
"issue". My only "issue" is with people who use falsehoods to try and
legitimise campaigns of disruption and dissension - especially when they
don't make their complaints the right way, to the right parties.

Your issue is that you ignore what contradicts your justifications and
invent more of them.

> If browsers that have a major market share don't support something,

Not all? Just some huh?  I thought that was *my* (second) "issue" - the
inability to differentiate between some and all...?

> then it won't be used as much as something that all major browsers
> support.

So it follows that if a browser won't do as much as other browsers it'll
lose it's userbase. Great plan.

> Mozilla has joined Microsoft on the dark side.

Then by all means *you* don't have to use Iceweasel or Firefox. It's bad
enough listening the bullying demands of "users" make of volunteer
developers to add features without having to listen to bullying by
"users" wanting to remove features.
I presume you don't use DVDs and Blueray either - that thing about them
denying your copyright rights (which I'll be real interested to see if
you expand on instead of ignoring like anything else you don't want to
address).

> Debian doesn't have to join them.

Debian doesn't have to join any mythical alliance - especially the one
that exists only in your imagination.

Regards