Re: Will Iceweasel stay open source?

Ah, thanks for the clarification! But now I'm confused; in what sense is it open source software if during runtime it starts downloading and running binary blobs from Adobe? :/

On 2014-05-15 20:09, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2014-05-15 19:51 +0200, Eelis wrote:

I read[1] that Firefox will start shipping parts for which they won't
provide the source code (something to do with DRM..).

You read incorrectly, here is the relevant part from [1]:

,----
| As plugins today, the CDM itself will be distributed by Adobe and will
| not be included in Firefox. The browser will download the CDM from Adobe
| and activate it based on user consent.
`----

So, not that different from the situation with Flash which has annoyed
us for ages.

Can I trust that
Iceweasel will remain open source, or will I have to switch to Lynx if
I want to use an open source browser? :)

Iceweasel will remain open source.  So will Firefox, or its developers
will leave in masses I presume.

Cheers,
        Sven

[1] http://andreasgal.com/2014/05/14/eme/