Re: [OT] How long is an unused HD 'new'?

On 2014-05-12, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is actually pretty important because all my backup data is stored
>> there.
>
> I fed a mouse to an intertube seer... could this be what Curt refers too?
>
> http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-critical-design-flaw-found-in-wd-caviar-green-hdds.html

Yeps.  I wasn't aware of the problem until Ralf spoke of it here (and my
drive had over 500,000  Load_Cycle_Count thingamajiggers--"smartctl
/dev/sda -a | grep Load_Cycle").

I used the idle3ctl tool and turned the "feature" off completely (but this
ain't no production server, or whatever you people call them).