Re: Can't boot after harddrive replacement

On Sun, 11 May 2014, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 08:40:49 -0300
From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't boot after harddrive replacement

On 05/11/2014 05:46 AM, Itay wrote:
Old disk was 300GB and failing.  New is 1TB.
I replaced the old harddrive and made few steps to copy the system
back to the new drive (see below).
Obviously I missed something as the system does not boot.  BIOS comes
up alright.

I guess that I overlooked something with the boot files, but what and
how to remedy this?

Did you reinstall grub (or whatever bootloader you use)? You need
something like
# grub-install /dev/sda
to install the bootloader to the MBR. An rsync would not copy that.

Hi Eduardo

Following-up on your suggestion I tried to reinstall grub but failed.

Steps (as root using LIVE DVD):

# 1. Create mount point for would be root file system
	$ mkdir /media/root
# 2.
	$ mount -t auto /dev/sda2 /media/root
# 3. Mount would-be boot partition
	$ mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /media/root/boot
# 4. Based on info found on the net
	$ grub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda
# grub complained on not being able to read correctly grub/stage1 #+ file or something similar.

I found on the net that grub works only with inode size of 128. Confirming that this was not the case with the file system on /dev/sda1 I remade the file system
	$ mke2fs -I 128 /dev/sda1
copied the /boot files from the backup, and repeated steps 1-4 above.

The same error message.
Reboot process does not proceed to loading grub -- as before.

Thanks,
Itay