Re: minimal X.org xserver installation on Debian Wheezy

On Mon, 12 May 2014, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 11 May 2014 at 16:35:42 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 11 May 2014, Martin T wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you for replies! As I understand, "xserver-xorg" will
> > > install /usr/bin/X binary, which is a X Window Server itself and
> > > "xinit" installs the /usr/bin/xinit utility which starts the X
> > > Window Server and window manager(dwm in my case) as a X Windows
> > > Server client. As I
> >
> > All I installed to get a running X on my Wheezy/Openbox "minimal"
> > system was xserver-xorg-core and xinit.
>
> You probably did this at a time when a video driver would have been
> pulled in by xserver-xorg-core because it depended on xserver-xorg.
> This dependency has gone so there might be a problem getting X
> running with these two packages alone.
>
>  xorg-server (2:1.9.4-2) unstable; urgency=low
>  .
>    * Put an end to the dependency hell! Now that we have proper
>      dependencies between drivers and the server, remove xserver-xorg
> from xserver-xorg-core's Depends (Closes: #362313). In a nutshell,
> one may want to choose between installing:
>      - xserver-xorg-core: the server itself, with no strings attached.
>      - xserver-xorg: pulls the server and drivers, contains the X
> wrapper and some documentation.
>      - xorg: pulls xserver-xorg as well as various X11 clients and
> fonts.
>
>  -- Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>  Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:17:07 +0100

When did this dependency change occur?  I installed Wheezy in Feb or
Mar 2013 when it was still Testing.  It became Stable in May of that
year.  The Installer chose the Nouveau driver for my nVidia graphic
card.  Sometime later (several months) I replaced it with the
proprietary nVidia driver.  About Oct or Nov, someone did a similar
install using my notes, and didn't have any problems.

Not doubting.  Just curious.