Re: minimal X.org xserver installation on Debian Wheezy

On Sun 11 May 2014 at 16:35:42 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2014, Martin T wrote:
>
> > Thank you for replies! As I understand, "xserver-xorg" will install
> > /usr/bin/X binary, which is a X Window Server itself and "xinit"
> > installs the /usr/bin/xinit utility which starts the X Window Server
> > and window manager(dwm in my case) as a X Windows Server client. As I
>
> All I installed to get a running X on my Wheezy/Openbox "minimal" system
> was xserver-xorg-core and xinit.

You probably did this at a time when a video driver would have been
pulled in by xserver-xorg-core because it depended on xserver-xorg. This
dependency has gone so there might be a problem getting X running with
these two packages alone.

 xorg-server (2:1.9.4-2) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Put an end to the dependency hell! Now that we have proper
     dependencies between drivers and the server, remove xserver-xorg from
     xserver-xorg-core's Depends (Closes: #362313). In a nutshell, one may
     want to choose between installing:
     - xserver-xorg-core: the server itself, with no strings attached.
     - xserver-xorg: pulls the server and drivers, contains the X wrapper
       and some documentation.
     - xorg: pulls xserver-xorg as well as various X11 clients and fonts.

 -- Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>  Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:17:07 +0100