Re: Can't boot after harddrive replacement

On Sun, May 11, 2014, at 06:04 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2014 11:46:25 +0300
> Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >

> > Old disk was 300GB and failing. New is 1TB.
> >
> > I replaced the old harddrive and made few steps to copy the system
> > back to the new drive (see below).
> >
> > Obviously I missed something as the system does not boot. BIOS comes
> > up alright.
>
> Just for fun in a ten minute diagnostic test that could shed light on
> the situation, why don't you boot a live CD, hopefully one with a
> kernel somewhat similar to the one on your new harddrive, mount the hard
> drive root partition somewhere, chroot to that mount, and then run
> mount -a. I bet you'd get a lot of information.

Well, right.  Here is some of the output (manually typed)

mount point /proc does not exist [Note: similar errors for few more missing mount points such as /usr/local, /cache]
special device /dev/sda1 does not exist  [Note: that's the would be /boot partition]
special device /dev/mapper/vg-home does not exist [Note: would-be /home reside on a Logical Volume vg/home]
[Same error for the other file trees that reside on Logical Volumes]

Note that I did not copy the /dev file tree from the old installation -- my understanding was that it will be repopulated by the system upon the first reboot with the new drive.
Was I wrong?

> If all of the above works right, then I'd imagine your problem is either
> in your bootloader or your kernel. If some of the above fails, that
> tells you where to apply your Troubleshooting Foo.
>
> HTH,
>
> SteveT

I guess the output of mount above shows that there is a problem with the file system(s) and devices.
Nevertheless, I also believe that I have problems with the bootloader.
See reply to a different post on this thread.

Many thanks,
Itay