Re: free space before the first and after the last partition if GPT partition scheme is used

Martin T <m4rtntns@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) Am I correct that boot loaders use their code on this area after
> the primary GPT and before the first partition?

No.

Bootloaders store their code in a special "bios_grub" partition (type
EF02) when using the CSM/BIOS boot mode or inside a EFI System
partion when using EFI boot mode.

There is no free space like in the MBR where the bootloaders store their
code.

The free space you are seeing is to align the partitions on 1MB
boundaries.

> 3) Are the last 689 sectors after the last partition used for storing
> the backup GPT?

No. This is for alignment as well.

Grüße,
S°