Re: libc-bin, libc-bin-amd64 conflict

On 04/23/2014 03:43 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 23 apr 14, 11:58:49, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all,

I am running an Intel i5-750, 4 core processor with Debian 3.2.54-2 x86-64
OS and Debian Squeeze. Recent attempts to update the system, with Aptitude
(and dpkg), have failed because of a conflict between libc-bin and
libc-bin-amd64. I have not been able to resolve the conflict. My dpkg update
system is essentially frozen (everything hangs up at the conflict
notification).

Anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve this conflict. Deleting one of
the files is not an option. The software refuses to allow this.
Please provide a copy-paste of the commands you run, otherwise we can
only guess what happened.

Kind regards,
Andrei
When running Aptitude, a red bar in the bottom half of the screen says "Unable to resolve dependencies". If I hit "g" after I update package list and Mark Upgradable, the top of the screen lists:
    iB      libc-bin
    pBA   libc-bin:amd64
The red box in the center of the screen says: No solution to these descrepency problems exists!
At this point Aptitude is essentially frozen.

Attempts to run dpkg produce:
    root# dpkg -i libc-bin
dpkg: error processing libc-bin (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing: libc-bin
The Debian web site doesn't seem to list a package libc-bin:amd64

PS I'm using Wheezy not Squeeze.

Gary R