Re: Bug #693630: Dconf unknown method 'Change'

Le 25.04.2014 14:01, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
Le 24.04.2014 11:53, James Collier a écrit :
Hi Berenger (and all),

Thanks very much for the replies.
My installed dconf packages and versions:
james@james-turing:~$ apt-cache search dconf | grep dconf
dconf-cli - simple configuration storage system - utilities
 dconf-editor - simple configuration storage system - utilities
dconf-gsettings-backend - simple configuration storage system -
GSettings back-end
dconf-service - simple configuration storage system - D-Bus service
 dconf-tools - transitional dummy package
libdconf-dbg - simple configuration storage system - debugging
symbols
libdconf-dbus-1-0 - simple configuration storage system - D-Bus
library
libdconf-dbus-1-dbg - simple configuration storage system - D-Bus
debug symbols
 libdconf-dbus-1-dev - simple configuration storage system - D-Bus
development files
libdconf-dev - simple configuration storage system - development
files
libdconf-doc - simple configuration storage system - documentation
 libdconf1 - simple configuration storage system - runtime library
upstart-dconf-bridge - DConf bridge for upstart
james@james-turing:~$ apt-cache policy dconf-service
dconf-service:
  Installed: 0.18.0-1
  Candidate: 0.18.0-1
   Version table:
 *** 0.18.0-1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ [2] sid/main amd64
Packages
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ [3] testing/main
amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
james@james-turing:~$ apt-cache policy libdconf1
libdconf1:
  Installed: 0.18.0-1
  Candidate: 0.18.0-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.18.0-1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ [4] sid/main amd64
Packages
         500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ [5] testing/main
amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
james@james-turing:~$ apt-cache policy libdconf-dbus-1-0
 libdconf-dbus-1-0:
   Installed: 0.18.0-1
  Candidate: 0.18.0-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.18.0-1 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ [6] sid/main amd64
Packages
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ [7] testing/main
amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Wow, classic DEs are really bloated...
Since those packages does have the same versions as in testing, I doubt that the problem comes from version. But you really did not installed *-dev and *-dbg packages? They are completely useless for normal users. *-dev files are useful for programmers, and *-dbg... well, I do not know what the hell they are, I never really had to debug a package in Debian with them, I usually prefer to download mainstream versions and try to fix things there :)
Anyway...

How do I check that all recommended packages are selected?

It depends on the tools you are accustomed to.
Personally, I use aptitude with it's ncurse semi-graphical interface.

I've just
done a tasksel and noticed "Debian desktop environment" wasn't
selected, but "laptop" was. Unfortunately the dconf problem persists.

As for ~/.share, it doesn't exist on my system.

My mistake: I meant ~/.cache a

... Sorry, my fingers took the wrong path...

I meant ~/.cache and ~/.local.
You could also remove stuff like ~/.dbus. Oh, and not removing them, in fact, simply moving them somewhere else, just in case.

If the problem is not solved, and to be sure the problem does not come from something in your home, you can just try to create a new user, log-in with it, and check if the problem still happen. If yes, then the problem is probably a bug in something and you will probably could use reportbug.

I can not really help a lot more, I never really used any big DE, and one of the things I usually does on my systems is to disable dbus daemons and other kind of things which are used to make linux more like windows ( dconf is an "alternative" of regedit, in my opinion. And this is bad, still in my opinion. )

PS: On this mailing list, we strongly encourage bottom-posting, versus top-posting, because it makes things easier for other people to jump into the discussion.