Re: In Squeeze replacing python version 2.6.6-13~bpo60+1 with version 2.6.6-3+squeeze7

On Thu 24 Apr 2014 at 09:53:54 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

> On 2014-04-24 05:29, Curt wrote:
> > On 2014-04-23, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> You have already been told: it is not required if you *want* to
> >> set up printing. You may feel the need to *have to* set it up
> >> that way but the reasons are unspecified.
> >>

> > I believe he's trying to build the most recent version of hplip
> > (thus the requirement for development libraries) because his
> > printer, to function correctly, or to function fully or
> > completely, needs a newer version of hplip than the one provided in
> > Squeeze.
>
> Yes indeed.  Besides being a printer, it is also a scanner and a fax
> machine.

If you can do without the scanner and fax functions you might find that
providing a PPD to CUPS using localhost:631 is sufficient to enable
printing, A PPD for your machine should be in ~/hplip-3.14.4/prnt/ps.

The ~/hplip-3.14.4 directory is created with 'sh hplip-3.14.4.run'

> > I read all about it yesterday, found his printer at this site
> >
> > http://hplipopensource.com
>
> That site is the *only* place where I found drivers, etc. for this
> printer++ -- hence the need to solve the problem described in my
> original post, to which Andrei likely provided the solution.

Squeeze is lacking support for the m475 because it was frozen before the
device came on the market. Should you get your computer into a sensible
state to satisfy hplip-3.14.4.run I can assure you the software builds
successfully.

> > Maybe my comprehension of the whole deal is faulty.
>
> I need to look into the points you have raised.  I am confused also. I
> may find some answers when I install the drivers after getting my
> Wheezy box working.  Thanks for the info.

You do not need to install the drivers as you are doing now because
hplip and printer-driver-postscript-hp support the m475 in stable.