Re: In Squeeze replacing python version 2.6.6-13~bpo60+1 with version 2.6.6-3+squeeze7

On 2014-04-23, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> You have already been told: it is not required if you *want* to set up
> printing. You may feel the need to *have to* set it up that way but the
> reasons are unspecified.

I believe he's trying to build the most recent version of hplip (thus
the requirement for development libraries) because his printer,
to function correctly, or to function fully or completely, needs a newer
version of hplip than the one provided in Squeeze.

I read all about it yesterday, found his printer at this site

http://hplipopensource.com

and indeed there was a table somewhere that gave a minimum hplip version
higher than the one in Squeeze.  However, there was another table which
seemed to indicate that the printer should work (at least partially)
with Debian 6.0.  I am a little confused.

It seems he's downloaded an "automagical" install script which
configures and builds the hplip software with little user intervention (or
something).  Why it's barfing on the version of python-dev in Squeeze
puzzles me. If you choose to install "manually," you must download the
"Regular Tarball"; the build and install instructions for Debian are
found at this url:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/debian.html

Here's the minimum system requirements:

http://hplipopensource.com/node/295

At the above url it says, amongst other things:

 Python 2.2 or higher and python-devel (Python 2.3+ for fax support)

Isn't 2.3+ lower than the version in Squeeze?

Maybe my comprehension of the whole deal is faulty.

--
Même l’avenir n’est plus ce qu’il était.
(Even the future isn't what it used to be).