Re: Heartbleed (was ... Re: My fellow (Debian) Linux users ...)

On Wed, 2014-04-16 at 09:01 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
   . . .
> > What is medical identity theft?

Theft of patient identity information, usually for the purpose of
insurance fraud.

> I'd also be interested seeing the proof for the claim (I think he
> means medical data breaches but IDK anyone has disclosed that
> information).

My brother was heavily involved in bringing hospitals into HIPAA
compliance after the Act was implemented in, I think, 1996.  He
subsequently consulted for the state government and hospital systems
defining security and privacy policies and conducting audits until his
retirement a few years ago.  He told me yesterday (U.S. CDT) about the
sharp rise in patient identity theft in recent years.  His comment was
that ID theft occurred more often as 1-1 cases than as massive breaches
like the recent Target exploits. Apparently the goal is usually to
obtain health services and prescriptions from another person's
insurance.  The consequences of the corruption of the victim's medical
records can be devastating.

--
Bill Wood