vesa mode code?

Hi there,

I am asking myself now for many years, if there is a relationship between the
solution and the vesacode at the grub commandline.

Of course, there is a table everywhere, where I can see, which resolution is
at the givenm mode (i.e. vga=791 is 1024x768).

But what does 791 mean? I guess it is 791h, or similar.

Is it possible (and if yes, how), to compute the code from the wanted
solution? For example, if I want to have 1440x900, can I compute the
vga=whatever code? Or must I always look into a table?

I googled, but found only tables, but no satisfying explanations.

Would be nice, if someone could tell me more.

Best

Hans