Re: vesa mode code?

On 09/04/14 00:20, Hans wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am asking myself now for many years, if there is a relationship between the
> solution and the vesacode at the grub commandline.

Do you mean if you type "c" at the GRUB prompt and then vbeinfo?
Those are the frame buffer modes your screen can handle.
hwinfo --framebuffer will give you the same info.

> Of course, there is a table everywhere, where I can see, which resolution is
> at the givenm mode (i.e. vga=791 is 1024x768).
>
> But what does 791 mean? I guess it is 791h, or similar.

The video mode number of the Linux kernel is the VESA mode number plus
0x200

> Is it possible (and if yes, how), to compute the code from the wanted
> solution? For example, if I want to have 1440x900, can I compute the
> vga=whatever code? Or must I always look into a table?
>
> I googled, but found only tables, but no satisfying explanations.

Some explanation:-
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/svga.txt
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

> Would be nice, if someone could tell me more.
>
> Best
>
> Hans

Kind regards