Re: vesa mode code?

Hi.

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 04:20:22PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am asking myself now for many years, if there is a relationship between the
> solution and the vesacode at the grub commandline.
>
> Of course, there is a table everywhere, where I can see, which resolution is
> at the givenm mode (i.e. vga=791 is 1024x768).
>
> But what does 791 mean? I guess it is 791h, or similar.

Documentation/svga.txt (linux kernel documentation, any version should
do) should give you some insight into this matter. Short answer is "no,
791 is not 791h, it's 317h".
And 317h is defined by VESA 2.0 as 1024x768x16.

> Is it possible (and if yes, how), to compute the code from the wanted
> solution? For example, if I want to have 1440x900, can I compute the
> vga=whatever code? Or must I always look into a table?

Sure, there's a way. Install 'hwinfo', invoke

hwinfo --framebuffer

from the console as root. vga= value you need should be 866 or 867.

Reco