Re: Help with network topology/setup

On 07/04/2014 14:04, Diogo Martins Silva wrote:

I'll have a remote server, with 2 radio connections: 1 wifi (probably a
ubuiquity bullet) and one ppp through usb2ttl adapter and RFD900.

I'd like to setup an openvpn link between my laptop (which will also have
both radios) and the server that can cope with the loss of any of the
links. The links should resume normal operation as soon as they become
available.

If I understand your idea correctly, I think what you describe is sometimes referred to 'failover' where if a link fails, systems switch to another link.

I have read of cases where 'uplinks' to internet can be through one of two routes, but I think your case is even more complex because you need both
- the server, and
- the laptop
to (each) switch to an alternate radio link. So, the 'failover' has to work on both equipments.

I don't know the answer to that, but I can give you two suggestions that might help you start. Both suggestions utilise 'routing' tables using, I think, a system named iptables. I think iptables can be configured to do this, and on both the server and the (debian) laptop. (It is a debian laptop?)

1.  There is a routing package named shorewall

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=shorewall

and some initial guidance here

https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/shorewall

2. There is a simpler facility, similar to shorewall in that it manages the iptables for various routings, which has evolved from a user's personal scripts. The user was Arno. It is packaged for debian here

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=arno

Arno has a web page here

http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/joomla/

I have a need for alternate routing. both uplink to internet, and internally for active and standby systems, so I am looking at this.

I don't think either of these 'solve' your problem, straight away, but some of the ideas within them may help. My impression is that the solution will involve routes.

regards, Ron