Re: Details behind a GRUB2 warning message?

Tom H wrote:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Thank you. My individual use case appears to be adequately safe, perhaps
more due to good luck than good management. However a couple of side
comments plus something I read somewhere hints at a more elegant solution.
Will have to some experiments.

Let's assume that you have two Linux installations on sda, on sda1 and
sda2, and that grub is embedded in the mbr of sda for sda1 and in the
pbr/vbr of sda2 for sda2.

Preamble:
I was recently reminded that " [my] ignorance is archived. :) "

I have two distinct use cases
1. one machine has multiple Debian installs {primary and logical partitions} 2. one machine has WinXP on sda1 with multiple Debian installs on both primary and logical partitions with several logical partitions formatted
     as NTFS

For the record ;/
  1. I have no idea what "pbr/vbr" means
  2. I've not yet Googled 'chainloading of boot loaders'

If it's sda1's grub to which the bios hands over the boot process,
you'll be booting the installation on sda2 with one of these three,
"linux (hd0,msdos2)/boot/vmlinuz...", "configfile
(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub/grub.cfg", "multiboot
(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img", and none of them can be
affected by the block list issue.

My machine with only Debian *appears* well behaved.
My machine with both Windows and Debian gives me fits.
I have more reading to do before asking intelligent (aka answerable) questions.

P.S. Having written one test procedure and one manual (decades ago) I *DO* believe in reading documentation ;)